Volunteers needed for Grand Opening
Scissortail Park is seeking energetic volunteers for our Grand Opening Weekend celebration scheduled Friday, September 27 through Sunday, September 29. With an estimated 100,000 visitors, Grand Opening Weekend will be a momentous event for Oklahoma City. This celebration would not be possible without many months of planning and the collaborative efforts of the City of Oklahoma City, businesses, organizations, and groups. Through these efforts, the Grand Opening will include a wide range of visual and musical performances, family-friendly programming, and more.
The Park is looking for volunteers to help in every aspect of the Grand Opening celebration from week-of preparations to assisting with day-of vendors, crafts, activities, and entertainment. Volunteer and be a part of history.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Programs and Activities – assist with children’s programing, outdoor games and demos, community art projects, and more.
- Facilities and Logistics – assist with trash and recycling pick-up to keep our park beautiful.
- Horticulture – help with early morning prep and maintenance of the Park’s grounds.
- Sponsor Reception and Donor Relations – assist with bartending, replenishing trays, and various tasks as needed.
- Guest Services – assigned to information booths to help answer FAQs, oversee lost and found items, and retail sales.
- Volunteer and Hospitality Tent – aid with check-in, waivers, credentials, and replenishing food.
- Surveying and Roving – collect survey results from visitors and answer FAQs about the event and park.
- Food Truck – assist with food truck set-up, monitor lines, and reload runs.
- Line Information – assist with concert entrances and FAQs about the Friday night concert and Grand Opening Weekend.
Please review the following steps regarding the volunteer sign up process to ensure that Scissortail Park and you have all information needed before Grand Opening!
Sign Up Process:
2. We will reach out to collect more information for our records (ex: t-shirt size, emergency contacts, and references).
3. We will be offering four volunteer orientation sessions before Grand Opening to ensure that everyone knows the rules and regulations about volunteering at Scissortail Park, as well as how the check-in and checkout process will work for Grand Opening.
Orientation date/times are as follows:
Friday, September 20 at 12 p.m. at Union Station (address: 300 SW 7th, Oklahoma City, OK 73109)
Friday, September 20 at 5 p.m. at Union Station (address: 300 SW 7th, Oklahoma City, OK 73109)
Saturday, September 21 at 10 a.m. at Union Station (address: 300 SW 7th, Oklahoma City, OK 73109)
Saturday, September 21 at 2 p.m. at Union Station (address: 300 SW 7th, Oklahoma City, OK 73109)
o If you are unable to attend a volunteer orientation, Scissortail Park staff will work with you to make sure you have all pertinent information before your first volunteer shift.
Each volunteer will receive a commemorative t-shirt to wear while volunteering. Corporate and group volunteers are welcome. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can volunteer?
- Teens ages 14 and older, adults of any age
How long are shifts?
- Volunteer shifts vary based on volunteer opportunity. These shifts can vary from 2 hours to 4 hours. You are also more than welcome to sign up for multiple shifts throughout the celebration! Specific shift times are available on the sign up form. Please arrive 15-30 minutes early to go through the check in process and review responsibilities with volunteer manager (or shift leaders). Allot plenty of time for parking, as traffic will be busy throughout Grand Opening weekend.
Will food be provided?
- Park staff is very appreciative of all the work volunteers will be doing throughout Grand Opening! As a thank you, we will have a volunteer tent with snacks, drinks, and seating available during all volunteer shifts. If you’d prefer food from one of the onsite food trucks, please be sure to bring money!
What should I wear?
- Volunteers, who sign up ahead of time, will receive a FREE Scissortail Park t-shirt that they can wear during their volunteer shifts. Of course, you can always wear your own shirt or company/organization shirt if volunteering as a group. The park is quite large (36-acres!), so we recommend wearing comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing unless otherwise specified for your specific volunteer role.